Friday, July 17, 2009

Camden Markets

On our second day, after being given the run-around by some Western Union Money guy about 20 times, we set off for the Camden Markets.

I should mention that each person I had met whilst on this trip (mostly in the hostel, mostly by other Aussies... cos we're EVERYWHERE) has asked me why I have an American accent/where in America I am from. I seriously did not think my accent was this bad. I blame society. And the Dutch.

So anywhore, after being asked about my Americanness all day, it was a surprise to be greeted "Kia ora," by a police officer that we were asking for directions.

"What? I'm not Maori!"

"Oh, sorry loov, I thought you were."

"Well, I'm not. That's racial profiling."

I don't know how it is, but I've decided that it must be. Had a good laugh though. He tried to pass it off with, "It's a compliment - Maoris are such lovely people."

Mmm-hmm. That was the first time I've been asked about being Maori in a couple of years. And let me quickly point out in a Seinfeldian way, "Not that there's anything wrong with that!" but it gets annoying having to explain things all the time.

But I digress.

We made it to Camden (I can't believe I forgot to try and search for Amy Winehouse! Although I'm sure if she were there we would have noticed her beehive sticking way above the crowds) and ate lunch by Camden Lock. NARROW BOATS!!!! Oh, the narrow boats. I'm such a fan! I remember watching a kid's claymation TV show when I was little and one of the characters lived on a narrow boat and I was so facinated. It was exciting to actually see them. It's been a week now and I'm still not over the novelty.

So we trawled through the markets. It was a nice, relaxed day. The markets themselves are huge, and there's lots of nice stuff, but it's not exactly cheap. And it gets a little repetitive: stalls with the same women's clothes, obligatory "ethnic" jewellery, goth clothes and raver clothes. Repeat. There were a couple of stores with selling those bogan, Parklea Markets-style t-shirts, but alas, no Three Wolf Moon shirt. And unfortunately, I do believe that if I did see one there I would have bought it. Oh the SHAME!

The only thing I did end up buying was a cute headband. There was so much I did want to buy, but in my head I'm thinking, This is the 2nd day of your trip. You'll have no money. You'll have to carry it on your bloody back for the next two months. So just the headband then.

We rounded off the day with more drinking at various pubs. Drinks were pretty expensive, so we kept going to different pubs, only to find they were more expensive there.

2 comments:

Jenni said...

My grandad owned a narrowboat, and I spent a few days on it when I was 6. I love the locks. I got a badge which said "I'm a lock nut". It was awesome.

glad your having fun!

Emma said...

sar im so proud of you. i cant believe you rationalised your way out of buying something. sooo proud.

Pages

top navigation