Monday, January 4, 2010

... and then Rachel spoiled everything.

JOKES! But Rachel coming here and then leaving did have a huge affect on me.

Rachel came here after her trip to Morocco from December 8th to the 10th. I was so excited to be seeing her again (she'd also come for a weekend in November before she left for Morocco). So excited that I forgot what time she was coming. Even though it was written in my diary. That I carry everywhere.

So after picking her up about an hour after her plane arrived (you're welcome), we headed back to Altena. It only took about fifty hours because of train connections, and because the train at Hagen just decided not to work, which is great fun when you're stuck with a train-load of drunks on their way home from the Christmas markets. We had also made the most of the journey by waving at ourselves in the window of the train, only to realise that just because we could only see our reflections, it didn't mean that the people on the platform couldn't see us being ridiculous. A world of awkward.
The next day we set off for the post office so Rachel could post all her clothes and things home, then headed to Dortmund Weihnachtsmarkt. Lots of fun was had there, including gluhwein drinking, riebekuchen eating, and wandering. From there we went to Hagen and enjoyed those Christmas markets.

And then early the next day Rachel caught a train to the airport and left for Berlin. And then I suffered from a major case of the sads. I know it sounds ridiculous to say, but knowing that she was going home (and going home in the most awesome way - surprising everyone for Christmas) killed me. Knowing Rach was at least on the same continent as me helped me feel a little less... alone isn't the right word because I'm surrounded by people. I think it was just comforting, and the short amount of time we spent together was so good (Krakow and Altena x2).

Anyway, 2 months!

4 comments:

Emma said...

sar you poor thing. i love that rach is home. i miss you like crazy. i want you back on this continent. i wish you didn't feel so lonely. it is easy to feel alone even when you are surrounded by people. i understand. its how i felt when i first moved to newcastle. it wont be long till you come home to all the people that love you most. me!!!

Rachel said...

sarah i love you!!!!!!! and yes i did spoil everything but that's what i do best! we shall very soon be on the same continent again and it will be amazing once more!!! hoorah! and cheers to krakow and barszcz and scary men at auschwitz and alkohole! xxx

Judith said...

I really hope it´s not too hard for you. Or, at least, will get better soon!
I feel bad, knowing you´ll propably going to have a bad memory of germany. :(
Hope, it some way,... it was worth it.
Love you lots

Sarah said...

Oh Judith, I definately won't have bad memories of Germany. It's all a very long story that would require a lot of explaining to you. I'll have to call you one day soon to catch up.

Miss you heaps! And it was so worth it. :)

Pages

top navigation