Sunday, May 17, 2015

Day 17: Hontanas to Castrojeriz (8km)

Otherwise known as our "Act of God" day.

As we had been given a surprising Fast Forward, to use Amazing Race terminology, we decided that it meant we only had to do a very short day. Huzzah!

Despite th crummy weather, we had such a pleasant walk through the countryside.



There's Noni in her bright orange poncho, making sure she's visible to all traffic.


Passing this bit of graffiti on a road sign sparked a great bit of conversation between us. The Way is a film that came out a few years ago. It stars Martin Sheen and is directed by Emilio Estevez ("EMILIOOOOOOOO!"). I've seen this movie three times now- once to watch it for myself, once with my mum to explain to her what it was I was planning to do, and once with my grandma, same reason.

It's a sweet film that isn't terribly deep or anything, but it has a lovely message. And, obviously, it's set along the Camino. 

Here's the thing: does it matter at all what motivates you to do this trip? Hell no! I have no idea how I heard about the Camino all those years ago, but all that matters is I've made good (almost!) on my goal of walking the bloody thing. So someone saw a film and decided to do the Camino? So what? You saw a movie and it inspired you to make the commitment to walking 800 kilometres and you did it? You go with your bad self! 

This guy (I'm assuming) is a wanker (I'm not assuming- this I know). And he graffitied a sign. Jerk face.


Anyway, I digress. 

We passed some beautiful ruins of the Convent of San Anton. Pretty sure this thing is from the 14th Century. That's almost as old as me!



Then we had a long, straight road,



And finally got to Castrojeriz. 


Again though, despite getting to the town super early, we struggled to find a bed. We ended up paying a lot of money to stay in a not-that-great hotel. Stupid long weekend and all the day trippers. Sigh.

We basically spent the rest of the day exploring and reading (as we always do), then as we went out to grab dinner, who should we run into but John and Chris! They had caught a bus into town from Burgos and planned to walk a short day the next day. John was still sticking with Chris to make sure he followed the doctor's orders. Poor John really had his hands full with that one- Chris had already climbed the hillside to check out the ruins of and castle up there. Boys, am I right?!

Anyway, we had a lovely dinner with them.

And that was Day 17.

No comments:

Pages

top navigation